Home > topic of the week > Topic of the Week, Week 8

Topic of the Week, Week 8

I found The Lead Lab course at NewsU to be less than sufficient.  It’s entirely Flash-based architecture made it difficult to actually learn anything.  A few interesting clickable things here and there left me wondering if I had missed something in the cluttered and mostly useless room.  The room was mostly devoid of “clickable” content, and some of them seemed to have no relationship to what was being discussed.  The exercises seemed to throw one into the blue without a sense of purpose or direction.

I’m one for examples.  Give me lots, and lots, of examples and I’m good to go.  Unlike previous courses, this particular NewsU course did not offer that at all.  All they gave were a few checkpoints of what should and should not be done in various parts of a Lead.  Maybe I just missed something.  Again, it was entirely made in Flash, and that made it harder to navigate and feel tangible; it just really didn’t help much.

On the plus side however, it was interesting in it’s construction, and it did attempt to offer useful information.

Advertisements
Categories: topic of the week
  1. April 5, 2010 at 10:21 am

    I think it is interesting that you found it that difficult to learn anything. I can see your point that it is too flashy, and I do think that the class could be a bit more descriptive on the examples. That was the one problem I found with it, is that when I did mix something up or confuse one rule with another it didn’t give me any examples to know and understand the differences. I did like how they organized the information though. It was a step by step description, so you at least understand the fundamentals of writing a headline.

  2. April 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm

    Haha I have to agree and disagree. Some things helped a little I do suppose. However, it was a little funny to me that, like you said, there was little REAL helpful links to click on. I spent about 5 minutes just trying to find out if I had missed out on something that I was supposed to do. It was a little confusing at times but I did get a couple of things out of it.

  1. April 5, 2010 at 10:25 am
  2. April 7, 2010 at 6:51 pm
  3. April 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: